School Holidays have already commenced in some states with the remainder to commence next week. The holiday break is a time to reflect on the last term and to give kids a chance to relax and get some quality time with the family. I can imagine that many mum's like me are looking for holiday activities for kids.
But how to come up with something new to do without them saying they are bored every five seconds! And also not be completely broke at the end of the two weeks :)
Here's is what we like to do and we call it "School Holiday Ideas in a Jar" and you can do it too!
Here's what you will need to create a few ideas to beat the school holidays blues
- A nice jar or a tin - maybe recycle a pasta sauce jar (washed and cleaned of course)
- Blank Paper cut into rectangles approx 2x10cm - White or coloured
Now, get all the family around together and start writing down ideas on each piece of paper and pop them into the jar. Each Day take turns in picking out something to do from the jar.
Here are some holiday activities for kids that we like to put in our jar
- Beach Day
- Camping in the backyard
- Have a pizza party! Homemade pizzas are superfun, let them get creative with their own pizza toppings - ever tried bacon, banana and maple syrup
- Set up an obstacle course in the backyard
- A scavenger hunt at the park e.g. Something round, blue, a stick, a rock - (write your list before you go)
- Bike Ride to somewhere different
- Lego - will you be the next LEGO master?
- Choose your own adventure drive (20 cent coin, Turn Left for Heads and Right for Tails), just make sure you have some snacks and petrol.
- Go to the Movies
- Play dressups including mum and dad!
- Ten Pin Bowling
- Choreograph a dance or two
- Go to the local pool
- Write a book (nothing to big just a sentence per page with a picture)
- Visit the museum. Most will have a few things already happening these school holidays so you will need to check whats on what days as not all activities are free.
- Bake alphabet cookies then have fun spelling out words
- Have a drive-in night at home - for this, you will need to move the TV outside, grab a few large cardboard boxes and glue on some paper plates for the wheels - microwave some popcorn and watch a movie in your own cardboard car!
- Make sock puppets (glue googly eyes on or draw them)
- Colouring contest (download some free colouring activity sheets from google)
- Visit the Library - Libraries are changing, most have Playstations and robots and lego days. Check out your local library for a list of things they have.
- Write a letter
- Visit a friends house
- Paint or draw a self-portrait
- Go fishing
- Have a games day - Uno, Go Fish, monopoly, Tug of war, tunnel ball, cricket, soccer etc.
- Pajama day
- Bake Cupcakes
By the end of the two weeks, hopefully, you have all done something new from the last school holidays and are refreshed and ready for the new term! If you have any other cool ideas that you'd like to share, send me an email and I will add it to the page :)